Paper 1 Key Skills in English
PAPER ONE KEYSKILLS TEXTBOOK
This book comprehensively prepares students for all the KEY SKILLS required for Paper 1 of the
Leaving Certificate, Higher Level English examination.
- Comprehensively but succinctly covers each of the five Language Genres prescribed in the syllabus.
- Offers a wide variety of sample material drawn from both fiction and non-fiction.
- Non-fiction includes up-to-date articles, speeches, reports, documentary, websites, comment threads, etc.
- Recently published fiction from writers such as Anne Enright, Sebastian Barry, Roddy Doyle and Margaret Atwood, among others, are offered along with extracts from James Joyce, William Golding and Katherine Mansfield – thus offering students a wide range of illustrative material from some of the best writers in each genre.
- Comprehension A and B tasks set on each extract are provided to ensure practice and consolidation of key skills in each genre.
- Sample essays are offered in each genre in addition to Exam Practice sections.
- Chapter devoted to Comprehension A and B questions with guidance for interpreting questions, planning responses and maintaining a sharp focus on key tasks. Sample responses included.
- Composing section offering advice and sample essays for discussion. Commentaries offered on sample essays to guide evaluation.
- Chapter devoted to punctuation, spelling and grammar skills, with emphasis on those errors most commonly made by students.
- Useful checklists to ensure a firm grasp of all key skills required in comprehending and composing.
A full chapter dedicated to exam focus.
You Try It
Plenty of exercises throughout for students.
Variety of reading material
An extensive variety of reading material.