The Odyssey 1 package (textbook and workbook) has been designed to meet all the requirements of the Junior Cycle English Specification. This package empowers the First- Year student to engage confidently and enthusiastically with the three strands of language set out in the Junior Cycle English Specification: Oral Language, Reading and Writing.
Key features include:
- Engaging text selection including YA fiction, spoken-word poetry, graphic novels, blogs and podcasts as well as extracts from much-loved classic texts.
- Six themed units built around the 22 Learning Outcomes specified for First Year, to encourage student engagement and skills development.
- Learning Intentions, aligned with the Junior Cycle English Specification, are stated in student-friendly language throughout.
- Strategies (such as R.E.E.L.) give students the skills to write well-structured and focused answers.
- A unit dedicated to the novel introduces students to this key genre and encourages reading for personal pleasure and academic enrichment.
- Grammar and language points are presented through engaging activities.
- Online Teacher Resources including Schemes of Work.
- Written by a team of experienced and practising JC English teachers.
The accompanying Student Workbook contains:
- Reinforcement exercises on key grammatical areas such as nouns and verbs.
- Punctuation exercises.
- Space for taking notes, drafting and redrafting.
- Focus on writing as a process.
- Space for students to create their own texts.